Here are just a few of the specific ways American Hero companies are performing for our country to build a better and brighter America.
1. CenterPoint Energy sponsors programs that provide utility bill assistance for families in need, aiding thousands of CenterPoint Energy customers, including seniors, families with young children, and customers with disabilities each year. These programs are primarily funded through donations by customers. CenterPoint gives the donations to local charities such as the American Red Cross, the United Way, and the Salvation Army to fund programs that help our neighbors manage their natural gas expenses.
2. Covenant Transport operates more than 2,700 trucks and 7,000 trailerswith the pro-life message "It's not a choice; it's a child"
3. Eastman Chemical has a Supplies for Soldiers program dedicated to bringing our soldiers some of the comforts of home. Created in 2009, the project was developed by a number of Eastman team members that had a passion to support the units of soldiers overseas that are somehow connected to Eastman. The company has historically proven to be a military friendly employer, and in 2012, Eastman made the move to adopt the Supplies for Soldiers project as a corporate initiative.
4. Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Colidated's Purpose is "To Honor God in All We Do". Their values include courage and conviction, honesty and integrity, humility, morality, and supportiveness.
5. Grand Canyon Education Inc - Grand Canyon University - Christian Identity and Heritage - "Since our founding in 1949, Grand Canyon University (GCU) has been a Christian college with a biblically rooted mission. Founded as a Baptist university, today GCU is an interdenominational university that welcomes students from all backgrounds. Throughout its rich history, GCU has remained a vibrant Christian university that is committed to distinctively Christian beliefs, values and practices in accord with its mission and vision. While the university is clear about its identity as a Christian university and its foundational convictions, we are intentionally committed to living out the faith within the context of a missional community."
6. October 4, 2016 - Waters Corporation - The Waters Corporation's ACQUITY® Arc™ System received a 2016 New Product Innovation Award from market research and growth consulting firm Frost & Sullivan. Janani Balasundar, Research Analyst at Frost and Sullivan noted, "In the regulated environment in which pharmaceutical companies operate, they are by nature conservative when it comes to adopting new technologies, and they prefer "tried and trues" methods especially when it comes to latter stages of the drug development and commercialization process." Janani continued, "With the ACQUITY Arc System, Waters has given pharmaceutical companies the capability of introducing a single LC platform for their workflows for improving analytical method performance and thereby productivity while maintaining CGMP compliance" .
7. October 4, 2016 - Myriad Genetics - The US Oncology Network selected Myriad Genetic Laboratories as its preferred provider laboratory for hereditary cancer testing. As part of the collaboration, Myriad and The US Oncology Network will work together to perform hereditary cancer research through the Genetic Risk Evaluation and Testing (GREAT) program within The Network affiliated practices. Under this program, the two organizations will collaborate to create a database that links patient outcomes with genetic test results. Principal among the research aims of this program is to better understand the genotype-phenotype correlation, gene prevalence, and research related to improving patient counselling and access to testing. The scale achieved by combining the largest hereditary cancer testing laboratory in the world with the more than 350 sites of care affiliated with The US Oncology Network will lead to unprecedented insights into the field of oncology..
8. March 7, 2016 - Regeneron Pharmaceuticals was named by Fortune Magazine as one of "America's Best 100 Companies to Work For". Rapid growth, including the 2014 launch of the Regeneron Genetics Center and recent establishment of two Irish offices, has created new job opportunities and lots of interest. Regeneron entered 2016 with 157 job openings. Regeneron's strong team of innovative scientific thinkers are leading the way in pioneering ways to improve the health of patients.
9. August 23, 2016 - Mead Johnson Nutrition Company - In response to recent flooding in Louisiana, Mead Johnson's sales representatives - as well as the doctors' offices and medical facilities they service - were the first source of help, as sample stock of products was provided to families and shelters in need. The company rushed more than 21,000 units of much-needed infant formula and toddler milk products to the Red Cross in Baton Rouge, and approximately 7,000 units to the United Way in Lafayette. Mead Johnson reminded its employees that it will match any contributions they make through recognized charities to provide relief to affected families.
10. October 3, 2016 - Grand Canyon Education - Grand Canyon University's semiannual Serve the City Day is part of the largest Habitat for Humanity partnership in the country in which University volunteers hope to renovate as many as 700 homes in their community. Nearly 300 Grand Canyon University students picked up paintbrushes, shovels, wheelbarrows and rollers and spend the day toiling for their neighbors in the Serve the City neighborhood revitalization event.
Put people and principles before profits.
-Truett Cathy, founder, Chic-fil-a
Financial performance is, obviously, an important aspect of investing. But is it the most important goal? Financial performance is important for business. But, again, is it the most important? Mr. Cathy’s comments have been instructive to us as an investment firm. We believe that, like Chic-fil-a, having a transcending purpose can, not only help investors have competitive returns, but also have a positive cultural impact.
There is no question that having a different purpose than money can have associated risks, as ennumerated below. It is up to the investor to decide if the risks outweigh potential benefits. Our goal of “investing for a brighter America” has the potential to produce these benefits:
- Satisfaction of having a positive cultural impact
- Being well-positioned for the long-term growth of values-driven companies
- Calm in the midst of financial downturns
- Enjoyment of being shareholders of specific American Hero Companies
- Relief from the worry and stress that often comes with investing
- Enjoyment and satisfaction of using your investment dollars to help you AND others.
Risks associated with
There is no question that putting principles before profits has the potential, especially in the short run, to produce less financial return for the investor. For more about risks associated with our strategies refer to the “Risks” portion of the “Performance” section.
Our Strategy has Practical Aspects
Our investment strategy is not merely “pie in the sky”, although that is part of it. There are plenty of logical arguments to support the premise that our strategy provides reasonable prospects for competitive returns. They include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. We believe, and there is evidence to indicate, that companies with higher ethical standards are likely to perform better over time.
2. Having a goal greater than financial performance helps us and our clients maintain course when the market gets troublesome. (Interestingly even though some mutual funds show excellent returns it is not always so for their clients, many of whom jump out when the market goes down and get back in when it gets higher which is exactly the wrong thing to do)
3. Longer-term investment strategies, like ours, have been often shown to have better performance than more active trading strategies. Obviously, that is the view of Warren Buffet.
4. Our diversification discipline offers balance during turbulent periods.
5. Investing in relatively few stocks, as the 24 in our managed portfolio, has been proven to be a good strategy by investment icons, Benjamin Graham, Warren Buffet and Phillip Fisher. One advantage is it allows more time to monitor those positions.
6. Our equal weighting and regular rebalancing prevents over-concentration and provides the opportunity for each stock to contribute to overall return.
7. Our remaining fully invested avoids the pitfalls of market timing and allows clients to be efficient in their asset allocation.
8. Our multi-cap blend portfolios provides the flexibility to use stocks with best investment merit and thus more likely to contribute positively
9. Our use of macro-economic analysis provides the opportunity to take advantage of market trends.
10. Our regular rebalancing provides a disciplined approach to buying low and selling high, and provides further protection from over-concentration.
Important Disclaimer / Risks
The people or companies we have featured in our articles may or may not endorse our company. They may or may not agree with our goals or investment strategy. The views presented in this publication may not always reflect the current opinion of American Values Investments on the values or the prospects for investment performance of any company mentioned. Each of our stock holdings performs differently and it should not be concluded that all of our stock selections have performed as well as the ones mentioned. Our goal is first to support companies that best reflect authentic American values and only then seek market competitive returns. We reserve the right to buy or sell any stock from our current portfolios or add or subtract companies from our American Hero Universe. Investing in stocks involves risk including the loss of principle. American Values Investments research criteria limit the number of stocks available for investment. Stocks eliminated may have potential for higher returns. Companies acting on higher ethical standards may sacrifice short-term profits, which could be reflected in lower stock price. Investors should carefully consider their investment objectives, risk tolerance, and the expenses of investing in our portfolios. Past performance is no assurance of future results.